Federal and State legislators continuously introduce, amend, and change the laws and regulations that directly impact the lives of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and the agencies that provide community-based services.
Make YOUR voice heard by acting TODAY! NJACP makes it easy for advocates that care about community services and disability policy to reach out to their lawmakers, regulators, and policymakers.
It only takes two minutes to make a difference!
Call for Action: Take two minutes to urge Congress to support our services and Medicaid HCBS!
Use ANCOR’s advocacy tool to tell Congress we need action now. Please take two minutes today to tell Congress to invest in our community-based supports and services and ensure people with I/DD have the necessary services to succeed!
People with intellectual and developmental disabilities (I/DD) rely upon the Medicaid Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) program to live full and independent lives in the community across their lifespans. Funded primarily through Medicaid, the federal government covers a share of the budget by state, and states set fixed rates that I/DD service providers cannot negotiate.
Decades of underinvestment in the program have caused stagnant wages, resulting in high turnover and vacancy rates among the direct support professionals (DSPs) who provide these critical supports. Simply put, the workforce crisis has now accelerated to the point of closing programs and services, threatening access to HCBS.
Currently, Medicaid rates are too low for service providers to be competitive employers. As a result, providers are turning away new referrals and discontinuing existing services due to a lack of staffing. As a result, people are being forced to travel significant distances to access services or are facing increased risk of hospitalization or institutionalization. Additional funding is critical to stabilizing the workforce while sustaining and expanding services for people with I/DD.
PLEASE TAKE TWO MINUTES TO SUPPORT MEDICAID HCBS!
FY 24 Budget Campaign coming soon.
Senate President Nick Suctari @senpresscutari
Senate Majority Leader Lou Greenwwald @SenMTeresaRuiz
Senate Budget Chairperson Paul Sarlo @PaulASarlo
Senate Minority Leader Steven Oroho @stevenoroho
Senate Minority Budget Officer Senator Declan O’Scanlon @declanoscanlon
Senator Anthony Bucco @tonybucco
Assembly Speaker Craig Coughlin @SpeakerCoughlin
Assembly Budget Chairperson Eliana Pintor Marin @Aswpintormarin
Assembly Majority Leader Lou Greenwald @LouGreenwald
If possible, please also include NJACP’s social media. For Twitter the address is @njproviders.
Messaging points for Twitter/social media:
1. #KeepthelightsonfortheIDDcommunity for the IDD community includes $69 million in the FY23 budget for residential rates to maintain programs and homes for those with disabilities.
2. Disability providers kept people safe during the pandemic but now are struggling with inflation and no rate increase since 2014 #KeepthelightsonfortheIDDcommunity and include $69million for a residential rate increase in the FY23 budget.
3. Families need to know their services will be there when needed. Help IDD providers make this a reality and include $69million in the FY23 for residential rates and #KeepthelightsonfortheIDDcommunity!
4. IDD services are threatened for agencies struggling with inflation & the ongoing pandemic due to NO RATE INCREASE since 2014! Raise residential rates 8.5% with $69million in FY23 and #Keepthelightsonforthe IDDcommunity for the IDD Community.
5. The pandemic is NOT over for the IDD Community! Don’t let runaway inflation reduce availability of services for families. #KeepthelightsOnfortheIDDcommunity by including $69million in FY23 for residential rates.
6. A $69 million investment in IDD services in the FY23 Budget will help ensure families and individuals have access to the disability services they need.
If, in your message, you are able to link one or both of the following documents, then please do so. There are only so many characters and the message itself is most important!!!